Saturday, April 8, 2006

MacBook Pro / Boot Camp

Well, most of you have heard about the new Boot Camp beta that is all over the internet. It allows you to dual-boot Windows XP and OS X natively without third party hacks. For geeks like me, this is heaven. Now if Boot Camp will let me also throw a Linux OS into a tri-boot mix, it will be most than heaven.

Read about Jim Dalrymple's experience with Boot Camp over at Macworld.

Before OS X was released, I never wanted a Mac. I didn't see the reason to get one. They had fewer programs, fewer places to get them repaired (which I mostly did on my own anyways) and cost twice as much as my x86 PCs. Apple didn't support the geek overall. They didn't want you to open the case, didn't want you to modify things too much. So again - why would I?

Once OS X was released, my new found love for Linux/BSD could be filled with a really damn cool GUI interface. The once BSD-only ports system works on it. Almost any Linux security tool works on it...and some tools even go beyond their Linux counterparts - KisMac for example.

They are still high priced in my mind. I am typing on my personal Dell Latitude D505 that I got off Ebay for 800-900 dollars (with warranty days left on the machine). Hard to beat that deal. But I found myself thinking about getting a Mac laptop with my tax money. I would have to get a laptop, of course.

But you really have to get a MacBook Pro to get all the function I need. PCMCIA slots, Intel chipset, etc. So there goes 2000 dollars, plus money on the extras. That isn't cheap. Therefore I decided against it. I like my Dell and don't really see what I would do with another laptop.

But I have to say for the first time in my life. If I didn't have a laptop right now, I would be moving toward the MacBook Pro.

I still have some problems with Apple on a couple of issues, but Microsoft isn't much better these days.

I better go disable my Active Scripting in IE now before I catch a virus.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude!
    You can tri-boot with Linux ;-)
    http://theweeklyrant.com/article/8/news-apple-bootcamp-boots-linux

    ReplyDelete
  3. No PCMCIA on the MacBook Pro. The have the Express Card or whatever it's called. No reason you couldn't n-boot whatever you like, Apple has updated the BIOS so that most OSes can boot now.

    Even more interesting to me is running multiple simultaneous OSes. I happen to have a MacBook Pro 2.1Ghz at work, and I've been playing with Parallels Workstation as well. Still beta and missing a couple of features, but it is FAST. It uses the Intel VT feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, that sounds pretty cool. No PCMCIA worries me. I have like 5 wireless cards. Cisco Aironet 350, Linksys B v2, two types of Orinoco cards...I guess I am a wireless freak or something.

    ReplyDelete