Friday, May 26, 2006

Microsoft Word Unspecified Remote Code Execution - UPDATED

I am a little late on this update, but I have been really busy this week. The exploit is a zero-day for sure.

Most of the antispyware friends that I talked to have samples and didn't really see anything different than has already been reported. But it did take a while for everyone to get a sample, this shows just how rare it is in the wild.

I have a sample as well, but haven't had a chance to look at it. I have almost zero RCE skills, so I don't think having a sample is going to help me understand it much better.

The first attack was very limited in scope and Microsoft appears to be doing the right think and will not jump the gun to release a patch early. Some people are giving them hell about that, but I don't see a real reason for them to rush it at this point - in this exact case.

In some cases, it doesn't make sense to hold the patch until Patch Tuesday.

If the vulnerable function is known and being exploited in the public, then the patch should be released as soon as it is ready. Releasing it early in this current case, will expose the true vulnerability to groups that may not have it now, and in the end this will only increase the number of active exploits against this vector.

SANS - http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1345

Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/919637.mspx

No comments:

Post a Comment