Saturday, November 11, 2006

Hacking Firefox Extensions to Work with 2.0

In my line of work, I use webproxies almost everyday. So I was quite sad when I noticed that Switchproxy didn't work for Firefox 2.0 yet.

After a bit of reading, I found that it will work if the extension is modified a bit. So I asked my friend and Firefox theme creator, Aaron Spuler, for a little help. He told me about a simple modification that I could do in seconds. Here is how it worked....

1) Download the XPI file and open it with WinZip or WinRar (or whatever you use). Extract "install.rdf" and open that file with WordPad.












2) Modify the "maxVersion" variable from "1.5.0" to "2.0.*". As far as I can tell, you only need to change the first set, but you might need to change all three sets.

Original






Modified






3) Save the file and copy it back into the XPI file (overwriting the original file).

4) Install the Extension into Firefox, restart and test.







Now this works for Swtichproxy, but this will not work for all extensions. Firefox did change APIs and other things since 1.5, therefore other extensions may need to be re-coded work correctly.

Perfect Blogger has two other methods that work as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment