Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hurried Passenger Prompts Austin Airport Security Scare

Via KXAN.com -

A JetBlue passenger is in hot water after missing his flight and taking matters into his own hands.

A representative with Austin-Bergstrom International Airport said the plane was about to pull away when passenger Carlos Romero ran through an emergency exit and up to the plane.

Flight attendants decided to open up the doors and let him on. Security officers arrived shortly thereafter and arrested Romero.

Passengers were forced to get off the plane while bomb-sniffing dogs checked for anything suspicious.

The plane finally left about an hour after the incident without Romero.

Romero issued this statement Thursday: "I am sorry for the inconvenience and alarm I caused. I want to make clear that I arrived at the airport an hour before my flight and had already been cleared through security. But I went to the wrong gate. In my urgency to catch my flight at the right gate, I walked out of the door leading to the tarmac in order to see whether I could still get on my flight. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience and alarm I caused."

-------------------------------------

As a citizen of Austin and a frequent flyer (e.g. I was at the airport late Friday night), I accept Romero apology on the following condition only.

I hope this event has taught Romero that his flight is no more important than the hundreds of other people waiting for their flight....hence scaring the crap of out of hundreds, perhaps a thousand people is totally unjustified and is the opposite of how a compassion person would act.

No one likes dealing with the traffic on south 183, having to take off their shoes at the TSA checkpoint, only to sit around and wait.......but if we all make it as easy as we can for the person behind us, then we will all be a big happier.

We are all human and we are all guilt of not thinking about other people at some point...but this story is just silly....

No comments:

Post a Comment