Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Indonesian TV Identifies Another Jakarta Hotel Bomber

Via xinhuanet.com -

An Indonesian television on Tuesday evening unveiled identity of another suicide bomber at Ritz Carlton Hotel as Ibrahim, a florist at the hotel, who conducted his action on Friday along with fellow Nurhasbi at JW Marriott Hotel in Jakarta.

Based on the cctv record seconds before the blast at 07:47 at Erlangga restaurant at Ritz Carlton Hotel, a man suspected as Ibrahim of 36, walked unsteadily carrying a black bag which seems very heavy, Metro television said.

The whereabouts of Ibrahim has been unknown since the bombings at the two luxurious hotels which located opposite each other on July 17 that killed nine people and wounded 55 others, half of them foreigners. The police conducted DNA test to make sure the body of Ibrahim.

Based on the hotel presentation list Ibrahim was working on Friday morning, the day of the bombings.

He called his family before the blasts.

After the bombings, his family had looked for him at some hospitals where the victims of the explosions were being treated.

Police are identifying parts of bodies found at the scene, but it is still unknown yet whether one of them is belonging to Ibrahim.

The perpetrators of the bombings assembled the bombs at room 1808 at JW Marriott Hotel. They ordered the room on July 10 and occupied it at 15:01 Jakarta time (0901 GMT) on July 15, two days before conducting their deadly acts. Police found active bomb in a black laptop computer bag after the blasts.

The police have found similarities in equipment and method of the bombs with those detonated in Bali in 2002 and 2005, and that found in recent raid in Cilacap of Central Java, in which the regional militant network of Jemaah Islamiyah was responsible.

Police widens investigation on the group.

The blasts in JW Marriott Hotel and Ritz Carlton Hotel in Jakarta's main business district occurred after four-years absence of major terrorist acts in the country.

Indonesia had been attacked by a series of terrorist attacks from 2000 to 2005, including Bali bombings, the JW Marriott explosion and the Australian embassy bombings in Jakarta that killed more than 250 people.

The police and analysts said that the bombings in the two hotels were led by a breakaway of Jemaah Islamiyah led by Malaysian fugitive Noordin Moh Top, who had organized the major bombings in Indonesia, targeting foreigners and facilities. He has been main target of the police.

No comments:

Post a Comment