Monday, July 12, 2010

Al-Shabaab Claims Responsibility for Uganda Bombings

Via CNN -

A Somali Islamist militant group, Al-Shabaab, issued a direct claim of responsibility Monday for three bombings in Uganda that left at least 74 people dead.

"The best of men have promised and they have delivered," said the statement obtained by CNN. "Blessed and exalted among men -- taking full responsibility."

An Al-Shabaab leader said in a separate website posting Monday that Uganda would be targeted for retribution over the "massacres" perpetrated against Somalis.

"My message to the Ugandan and Burundian nations is that you will be the target for our retribution to the massacres perpetrated against the Somali men, women and children in Mogadishu by your forces," said an Arabic statement from Sheikh Abu Al Zubeir, identified as "the Emir of Al-Shabaab in Somalia." The statement was posted on an al Qaeda-affiliated website which previously has carried statements and videos from Al-Shabaab.


The three explosions ripped through two venues where crowds were watching the World Cup final match on Sunday.

At least 71 people were hospitalized, police spokeswoman Judith Nabakooba said.

"If you want to fight, why don't you attack soldiers or military installations instead of fighting innocent people watching football?" said President Yoweri Museveni, who on Monday visited a rugby sports center where two of the blasts occurred Sunday.

The casualties included one American death, the U.S. Embassy said. The American killed was Nate Henn, according to an organization that works with children in Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment