Thursday, August 19, 2010

Facebook Adds 'Places' Check-in Feature

Via WashingtonPost.com -

Facebook is following in the footsteps of younger social-networking sites by adding a "Places" feature that lets you share your real-world location with online friends. As company representatives explained at an event at Facebook's Palo Alto, Calif., offices and wrote in a blog post, you'll be able to tap a "Check In" button to announce your presence at a physical location to your Facebook friends. Your check-in will then appear on that location's "place page," on your profile and in your friend's News Feeds.

Your pals, in turn, can tag you as being with them, after which you can remove that tag--similar to the way Facebook's photo-tagging feature operates.

-----------------------------------------------

So basically, Facebook has copied FourSquare. But of course, Facebook has kept its past course and made some parts of Places opt-out....as opposed to opt-in. By default, your friends can check you in even if you don't check-in yourself!

Here are the three changes that I made to my FB settings...






Privacy Settings -> Customize Settings -> Things I share -> Set "Places I check in" to "Only Me"

Privacy Settings -> Customize Settings -> Things I share -> Uncheck the enable checkbox for "Include me in "People Here Now" after I check in"





Privacy Settings -> Customize Settings -> Things other share -> Select Disable for "Friends can check me in to Places"

No comments:

Post a Comment