Since we first announced the development of a sandbox for Adobe Reader on July 20, 2010, there has been a tremendous level of interest in the sandboxing topic — and an equal level of anticipation for Adobe Reader X.
Today, all of the hard work has come to fruition, and we are happy to announce that Adobe Reader X (with Protected Mode, aka sandboxing, on Windows) is now available! To download the new version of Adobe Reader, visit www.adobe.com/reader.
Adobe’s product security initiatives are focused on reducing both the frequency and the impact of security vulnerabilities. Adobe Reader Protected Mode represents an exciting new advancement in mitigating the impact of attempted attacks. While sandboxing is not a security silver bullet, it provides a strong additional level of defense against attacks. Even if exploitable security vulnerabilities are found by an attacker, Adobe Reader Protected Mode will help prevent the attacker from writing files or installing malware on potential victims’ computers.
For more information on Adobe Reader X and on Adobe Reader X Protected Mode in particular, see the following blog posts:
- Adobe Reader X Now Available!
- Introducing Adobe Reader Protected Mode
- Inside Adobe Reader Protected Mode – Part 1 – Design
- Inside Adobe Reader Protected Mode – Part 2 – The Sandbox Process
- Inside Adobe Reader Protected Mode – Part 3 – Broker Process, Policies, and Inter-Process Communication
- Inside Adobe Reader Protected Mode – Part 4 – The Challenge of Sandboxing