Saturday, February 19, 2011

SpyTunes: Privacy Hole Lets Anyone with Your Email Address Spy on Your iTunes Library

Via Andrew McAfee's Blog -

A little while back I was putting together an iTunes playlist to give to my Mom as a gift, and found myself frustrated by the application’s user interface. It kept telling me that Mom already had one song after another, and refusing to let me complete the gifting process until I removed the duplicate song from the playlist.

After I did this three or four times I gave up, complaining to my girlfriend how clunky the process was. She replied “That’s not the real problem. The real problem is that iTunes is telling you what music someone else has.”

She’s right. I’ve been doing some poking around, and have found that it’s pretty straightforward for one person (let’s call him George Smiley, after John Le CarrĂ©’s master spy) to find out what music, video, and apps someone else (like me) has purchased or had gifted to them on iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment