Monday, January 30, 2006

Nmap 3.9999 - Runtime Interaction Feature

On Friday, I was asked to port scan a new server at work. Cool, portscans are always fun. I knew I had Nmap 3.95 on my laptop, but I jumped over to Insecure.org to make sure I still had the "latest and greatest"...well I didn't.

Checking out the changelog, I found a very cool feature introduced in 3.98 BETA1. It is called "Runtime Interaction". Yep, the name basically sums it up. This feature was created by Paul Tarjan as part of the Google Summer of Code. But initially, it only worked in the Linux/Unix version of Nmap 3.98 BETA1.

Well, Nmap 3.999 added runtime interaction support to the Windows port as well. Thanks to patches from Andrew Lutomirski and Gisle Vanem.

Then Nmap 3.9999 (that is four nines) was released. It added several minor nmap-protocols and mac-prefixes file updates over 3.999 (that is three nines).

Pretty cool. The runtime interaction feature should come in handy during large network scans. Anyways, update your ports or go directly to the source and get Nmap 3.9999

No comments:

Post a Comment