Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Fun: Will Wright's "Spore" Game

I have to thank Fergie for this link. I am not a gamer...I have zero games installed on my computer. But I have a hacked XBOX and I play it like once a month....told you I wasn't a gamer.

However, I am a science / evolution guy and I have always loved science / RPG games.

Myst, SimCity, Civilization, Fable, Starcraft, Black & White, etc.

I even played SimFarm in the early 90s.

But "Spore" is in a new class. It is like taking all of the games above and rolling them together. The result appears to be a totally custom world, created by you. Your animal starts in the micro world and become macro. Hell, it becomes groups of marcos. One very small multi-celled creature and can become an entire city of animals. You grow, eat and change in this your own custom world...a world that is filled with other animals and objects created by other gamers, yet not controlled by those players.

Basically they have built-in all of the world's editor tools into the game itself. No need to go to a fan website and get a custom character or a special house....it is done automatically.

You just have to watch the video. It is a little over an hour long...but it is WELL worth the watch. If you want to cheat and get right to the action, jump in at around 12 mins....then jump in again at around 30 mins.

Let me know what you think....

No comments:

Post a Comment